With the increase in the number of people in the fields that have designing as an integral part, there has also been a stark rise in the demands for software’s and online tools that cater to these needs. CAD software or computer-aided design software are tools that help people design and draft solid objects in 2D or 3D. This CADD technology is for design and documentation that replaces manual drafting.
It is also necessary that these Computer-Aided Design softwares to be free and open-source so that they can be availed easily by industry professionals. Engineers, drafters, architects and designers are always on the lookout for such free CAD software online. In the following article, we will be taking a look at some of these CAD software that can help you make the most intricate and technical digital construction with ease. If you are someone who is working in these fields, feel free to take help from our analyses to make the best choice for yourself!
List of 7 Best CAD Free Softwares
|Name||Best For||Price||Our Rating||Website URL|
|Adobe Substance 3D||Smart materials and smart masks, painting your creations, powerful plain engine||Free Trial + Paid Plans||10/10||https://www.substance3d.com/|
|ZBrushCore||Sculptis pro, a wide selection of brushes, outstanding symmetry tool||Free||9/10||https://zbrushcore.com/|
|Planner5D||Build layouts and designs, furnish and edit, share your creations, great tool for non-designers||Free||10/10||https://planner5d.com/|
|AutoCAD||Draft and design 2D objects, build 3D models, customize your workspace||Free||8/10||https://www.autodesk.com/products/autocad/free-trial|
|Vectary||Collaborate with other creators, 3D printing, 3D rendering||Free Trial + Paid Plans||8/10||https://www.vectary.com/|
|OpenSCAD||GUI interface, preview models, CSG geometry engines||Free||9/10||https://openscad.org/|
|LibreCAD||Open-source, no language barriers, multiple tool options||Free||7/10||https://librecad.org/|
Best CAD Free Softwares (In-Depth Analysis)
Adobe Substance 3D
This is one of the most popular and best CAD free software that is available in the market. It is an industry gate software that lets you create and design 3D objects and put colour in them. It gives you the ultimate creative freedom and offers smart tools for great artistry. It is definitely one of the best CAD software, that helps professionals build up their designs effortlessly and hassle-free.
- Free Trial
- It lets you paint your 3D creations
- In Painter every action and stroke is recorded and saved
- It has a powerful plain engine
- It is equipped with Smart Materials and Smart Masks
- You can create advanced Materials
- It allows easy export
- It is equipped with automatic UVs
- It gives you VFX support
- You can get render preview
- You get access to deep brush customization
- It supports third party plug-ins
- It can be integrated with Unreal Engine 4
- Its free trial period is only for a limited time period
- Its Premium plan is very expensive
Review: There have mostly been positive reviews about this CAD free software. Users have appreciated its UI interface and the smoothness with which they could carry out their functions on this app. A lot of 3D designers have also praised its integration capability and support of third-party plug-ins.
ZBrushCore is a software that helps users make their mark in the world of digital sculpting and painting. The features come in packages that can be used by artists of all experience levels. This CAD free software helps you sculpt, paint and create everything that you can possibly imagine.
- It is equipped with Sculptris Pro
- It has a wide selection of brushes
- It also has VDM brushes
- It is equipped with an outstanding symmetry tool
- It also has Base Meshes
- It offers a multitude of materials/color
- It is the best software for sculpting
- It can manipulate models with a polycount of 20,000,000
- It has customizable brushes
- It has features like noise sculpting, sculpting layers and some key tools involved in re-topographizing
- Getting hang of the UI takes time
- The perspective view is a little awkward
- It is not well suited for renders
- It is a program with a very specific use – sculpting
Review: ZBrushScore is a software application that is absolutely best when it comes to sculpting. 3D artists who want to do some heavy sculpting can be benefitted immensely from ZBrushScore. It is not a one-size-fits-all software but is indeed a master of one and if that is what you are looking for, this, free 3d cad software is your friend.
Planner5D is an easy-to-use home designing free CAD online software that lets even amateur designers build a blueprint of their dream homes. The software makes it possible to do the same in three easy steps. It is the best free 2d cad software that can be used by non-digital artists and beginners also.
- It lets you build the layout and design
- You can furnish and edit
- You can also visualize and share your creation.
- It offers immersive 2D and 3D designs
- It is equipped with a 2D and 3D editor
- It shows gridlines
- It has a multilanguage free version
- It contains more than 5000+ item catalog
- You can alter the size and appearance of the furniture
- It is built for amateurs
- You can create anywhere anytime
- It has stable functionalities
- It also has great mobile support
- There are no curved or geometric objects to build with
- The furniture catalog could be better
- The app does not give planning and design solutions
Review: This is a pretty good CAD free software for beginners in my opinion. The learning curve is also not very steep and it is pretty easy to get a hang of it. It lets you create your dream home and offers multiple features and tools to make that possible.
AutoCAD is free CAD software that is a commercial CAD and drafting application. It has been developed and marketed by Autodesk and is also available as a mobile and web application. You can download AutoCAD for free from the internet and use it for clean and precise 2D and 3D drafting.
- You can draft, annote and design 2D geometry and 3D models with various solids, surfaces and mesh objects
- You can also use it to automate tasks like comparing drawings, counting objects, adding blocks, etc.
- You can also customize your workspace with add-on apps and APIs
- It is equipped with architectural toolset, mechanical toolset, map 3D toolset, MEP toolset, etc.
- You get to accelerate your designs in 2D or 3D
- You can also collaborate across teams and devices
- It also ensures fidelity and compatibility
- It is user-friendly and saves a lot of time
- It has expensive start-up costs
- It takes time to get used to the software
- It also needs a strong computer processing power
- It cannot fleely edit lines and locations
- There are also a limited number of file formats
Review: AutoCAD is a pretty professional-grade 3D designing software where you can carry out multiple functions, from drafting to sculpting. It lets you create designs in 2D and 3D and is definitely versatile when it comes to general usability.
Vectary is another free CAD 3D design interface that lets you spend more time on your creative process. This 3D modelling tool has various features with photorealistic real-time rendering and an app-free augmented reality. It also teaches beginners how to create 3D characters and give a tip or two on designing along the way.
- Premium for $12/month
- Enterprise for Custom Price
- You can collaborate with other creators in real time
- It has the option for 3D printing
- It also has the option for 3D rendering
- It has a vast 3D digital library
- You can share your work on social media
- It lets you create 3D animations
- It is really easy to use
- It is cheaper than other CAD softwares
- It is a great tool for prototyping
- The import of existing 3D model works really well
- It tends to freeze while working with high-poly assets
- The rendering process is rather slow
- The UI is not cleverly designed
Review: Vectary is the best free CAD software for beginners as it gives you guidelines and tips on how to build 3D characters. It is also quite easy to work with a less steep curve. Vectary is definitely worth your time if you are an artist who wants to get into 3D designing.
OpenSCAD is free CAD software that lets designers, engineers and architects make solid shaped objects with ease. This is a 3D modelling suite that is based on a script-only system and can be used to create CAD objects that are solid. It can be a useful tool for those who are on a budget
- It has a GUI interface
- It has preview models
- It has a CSG geometry engine
- You can create parametic designs and 3D models
- It has a definitive modelling method
- It has the ability to read and build 3D models in other file formats
- It used multiple free technologies
- It has a nonstandard UI
- You have to learn its own programming language to use it
- It has limited preview functionality
Review: OpenSCAD is a great free CAD online that can come of great use to those who require to build solid shaped objects. Especially designers, architects, engineers can benefit massively from this software
LibreCAD is a great CAD tool for beginners that is completely open-source and runs on various platforms like Windows, Apple and Linux. It also has great support and documentation and its large and dedicated community of users, contributors and developers are always eager to help.
- It is open source
- It has no language barriers
- You can save and open various file formats
- You can export and import various file formats
- You get multiple tool options
- It makes drawing easier
- You can add any extensions
- It is great for beginners
- It is a great tool for architectural designs in 2D
- It is easy to download
- There is an absence of direct documentation
- It has a very simple interface
- It lags frequently
Review: LibreCAd is a great free CAD software for rookies and can be easily downloaded and used. It makes the creating of 3D models easier and less time-consuming. Its wide range of features makes the task of 3D designing really productive.
CAD softwares have come forward to cater to the needs of the people who are in the fields of engineering, architecture, design, etc. With their diverse range of features and various other benefits, they have truly made 2D/3D designing a smooth task.
If you are someone who hails from one of these fields, what is your favourite free CAD software? Let us know in the comments!