Video games have the ability to transport us into a different world, the vibrant world of gameplay, where we have been allotted a specific task to complete. No wonder it is so easy to get lost for hours while playing video games since it takes us away from the daily monotony of our repetitive lives.
Taking this to the next level are virtual world games online, where you get an opportunity to create your own character and live in their world, seeing and doing things through their eyes. These virtual world games online present to us a new world, and we are in complete control of the actions of our characters. They do the things that we instruct them to do and make it seem as if it is us doing those things. In these games, we come across several other characters, who are controlled by random people from all over the world just like us. We can talk and interact with these characters, and maybe even find a friend in some of them!
If you are interested in starting with virtual world games online, then we have just the perfect solution for you. In this article, I will be listing down the top 7 best virtual world games online that you can check out and play. So, are you ready? Let’s get started then.
Best Virtual Reality Games Online
|Name||Best Features||Our Rating|
|Second Life||Create your own characters, customize your characters, interact with other players||10/10|
|The Sims||Create your characters, participate in various activities||10/10|
|IMVU||Customize your characters, chat with other players||9/10|
|Life Is Strange||Control the protagonist’s choices, interact with various objects, solve puzzles||9/10|
|No Man’s Sky||Engage in various activities, explore different planets||9/10|
|OurWorld||Design your own avatar, collect Flow to exchange it for gems to buy items for your avatar||8/10|
|Habbo||Create your own games, send friend requests to other followers, engage in chats and group discussions||8/10|
Top 7 Best Virtual reality Games Online
This is by far the most popular online virtual world game that has been recognized globally. I remember signing up for this game a while back, and needless to say, I was extremely amused by what it had to offer. It was developed by Linden Lab and was launched back in 2003.
- After signing upto Second Life, you get to select your username, which is also the name of your character
- You can customize your character according to your own choices
- You can interact with other characters in the game
- You can take part in a lot of activities within the game world
✅ Second Life is a pretty cool game where you can image and style your character after yourself
✅ You can interact with other users who are just regular people like you
✅ You can make friends without even having to step outside of your house
❌ There are lots of technical glitches within the gameplay
❌ Second Life is not available to minors.
This is one of the best virtual world games online for adults that have successfully grabbed my attention. The gameplay is really happening as there is a lot to do and a lot to see! I have loved this game since I discovered it and I would definitely recommend this game to anyone who wants to get some respite from their real-life and enjoy the dazzling world of virtual reality.
The Sims Online
The Sims Online is a very old virtual world game that has existed for quite some time now. It is one of the most popular virtual world games online that has definitely grabbed the undivided attention of a lot of gamers from all across the world. This game was developed by Maxis and was distributed by Electronic Arts.
- This virtual world game online is similar to Second Life in many of its features.
- You can design your characters and customize them according to your own preferences
- You are given lots of day-to-day tasks like building a house, decorating a garden, buying groceries, etc. for which you get points for each task completed.
- Eventually in the game, you meet other characters, controlled by other users and you can even form your own story with them.
- You can marry other characters and build a family with them.
✅ You get to design your character by allotting them clothes, a hairstyle, etc.
✅ The gameplay is quite easy to navigate through.
✅ You can do tasks like building your own house, designing it in your own way, buying a car, etc.
❌ The gameplay has a lot of technical glitches
❌ Sometimes the screen freezes and takes a while before everything starts moving again
I installed The Sims Online a long time back and from what I remember, I actually quite liked it. It gave me a sense of independence that came from designing my characters and being able to control them and carry out daily life activities with a lot of zest. I would definitely recommend all virtual world games enthusiasts to definitely check out The Sims Online.
What I remember about IMVU is that it is edgy. And when I used to play this game, I was also going through a pretty edgy phase in my life, rebelling against authority and hating everything. IMVU is perfect for young adults and adolescents, who are filled with teenage rage and are looking to escape that somehow. It was founded in 2004 and supported by venture investors, Menlo Ventures, AllegisCyber Capital, Bridgescale Partners, and Best Buy Capital.
- Other than being a virtual reality game online, it is also a social networking site
- You can chat up other characters controlled by users from all across the world and befriend them
- There is also a personal chatroom to chat with all your friends.
- You can develop your character and give them their clothes, hairstyle, shoes, etc. according to your wishes.
✅ You can design your character after yourself to give them that touch of individualism
✅ You get to make a lot of friends from all across the world on IMVU
✅ You can collect a lot of virtual goods within the gameplay
❌ Technical glitches are rampant which makes it a little annoying to play it sometimes
❌ There are a lot of different kinds of anonymous people on here, so be careful whom you interact with.
IMVU is the perfect game for young adults, social outcasts, and introverts who are looking to make new friends without having to interact with people. I remember back when I installed this game, I wanted to make new friends and needless to say, I met some of the most genuine people I have ever met in my life while playing the game. I would definitely recommend this game to everyone who wants to get away from their real lives and try out something new.
Life Is Strange
This is one of the strangest virtual reality games online that I have played to date. Not only is it visually appealing, but also weirdly captivating, enthralling, and thrilling. It was created by Dontnod Entertainment and published by Square Enix’s European subsidiary.
- These games are graphic adventure games.
- You can play this game from a third person’s perspective.
- You can control the main character’s actions via your choices
- You can examine and interact with various objects throughout the game
- You also have to solve puzzles in the form of fetch quests and bringing about changes your surroundings.
- You can also explore various locations and interact with non-playable characters.
- The player has the ability to rewind time and change the course of events.
✅ It has a visually aesthetic setting and art style
✅ The soundtrack is phenomenal
✅ The protagonist is quite interesting
❌ Some textures can be of really low resolution, especially close-ups.
❌ Some of the choices that you can make, do not really affect the story as such.
Life is Strange is one of the most intriguing virtuality reality games online that I have played and I will never forget about this game in this lifetime. I believe everyone should play this game at least once and I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.
No Man’s Sky
This is one of the coolest virtual reality online games that I’ve come across. This is a survival game that was developed and distributed by Hello Games. It narrates the story of The Traveller who wakes up on a remote planet with amnesia and must find their starship. Throughout the game, the Traveller meets three alien species: the Gek, the Korvax, and the Vy’keen.
- You can play this game in either first person or third person point of view
- You get to engage in four principal activities: exploration, survival, combat and trading.
- The player plays the role of an alien humanoid planetary explorer named the Traveller
- They are equipped with a survival exosuit with a jetpack, and a “multitool: that can be used for a variety of purposes.
- The player can collect, repair and refuel their spaceship.
✅ It has a massive and continuous world
✅ You can give a humorous name to everything you discover.
✅ The technology is very impressive and that makes the game even more realistic
✅ Throughout the gameplay you will find different ways to play and enjoy your adventure.
❌ The UI can get a little bit frustrating
❌ The basic mechanics can end up being repetitive
❌ There are minor glitches while playing with two or more people.
The world of No Man’s Sky is beautiful and visually pleasing. I loved playing this game and needless to say, was hooked from the very beginning. Keeping the minor glitches aside, this is an amazing game and I would definitely recommend all virtual reality game enthusiasts check it out at least once.
This virtual reality game online has been specially designed specially to keep teens and tweens in mind. This is a virtual world that consists of a diverse range of games and other online activities. It was developed by FlowPlay and was released in 2007.
- It combines a virtual world with a plethora of casual games and activities
- Every player gets to design their own character and allotted a condo.
- You can earn the in-game currency called “Flow” by talking, dancing, eating and drinking and playing games.
- You can exchange Flow for experience points and coins which you can use to buy clothes, accessories, furniture, etc for their avatar.
✅ You gain access to new areas, vehicles, and benefits and gain new dance moves with more experience.
✅ You can talk to other players, send friend requests, gifts, create your own groups, send and receive emails, participate in contests together and give each other “hearts”.
✅ You can even marry another player or become their child
❌ There have been complaints about hackers being inside the gameplay
❌ Many parents have also complained against this game not being child-appropriate
The inner dimension of OurWorld is pretty crazy with vibrant imagery and striking aesthetics. Although I haven’t personally played this game, it has had a great reception all over the world and I’ sure has delighted many of its users since the day of its inception. I would definitely recommend you to check out this game if you are looking to play virtual reality games online.
This is a 3d virtual world game free that is available online and requires no downloads. This online community for teenagers and young adults is owned and operated by a Finnish company called Sulake. Habbo was founded in 2000 and has extended its operations to nine online communities, also called “hotels” and has users from more than 150 countries.
- The main feature of this virtual reality game online is the “Hotel” that consists of a client made by using the Unity platform.
- You can access the hotel by logging in via the Habbo Homepage.
- There are Public Rooms that are available to all members and often depict scenarios like cinemas, restaurants, dance clubs, etc.
- These public rooms have automated robots that verbalize pre-recorded messages and tips and can earn the members food and drinks.
- There are also Guest Rooms that are special rooms that can be customized by the users and can be purchased with credits.
- Users can also create their virtual games online for free in Habbo by purchasing furniture from the shop
- Users can also engage in roleplay
✅ You can use the Habbo currencies to purchase items and amenities
✅ You can sign up for free
✅ It is a protected platform
✅ You can also use the Habbo mobile app
❌ You need a premium membership to purchase luxury items
❌ If you have a free account, you cannot access private rooms
Habbo is an interesting virtual reality online game that gives users the freedom to create their own games and also interact with other users. I loved their website and I would say that it is definitely worth checking out!
Although virtual reality games online can be really fun and r=engaging, they can often lead to detrimental consequences like alienation, isolation, depression, and anxiety. Sometimes the players can get so engrossed in this make-believe fake virtual world that they might lose touch with their actual lives and reality which can even lead to a mental breakdown. As fun as these virtual games are, you should always be cautious and NEVER give out your personal information and details to strangers because you never know who is sitting on the other side of the screen.
Keep these things in mind while you delve into the world of virtual reality games online. Till then, have fun!