These days, more people are switching to video streaming instead of depending on cable TV for their daily entertainment. I guess this comes as a result of global digitalization. In order to cater to the needs of people, various streaming platforms are coming up that serve this same purpose. Almost everyone these days has heard of streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc. which hosts a massive library of TV shows, movies, cartoons, anime, etc. All one needs to do is buy a monthly subscription to either of these services and boom! You get a lifetime supply of the latest shows, series, movies, etc.
A lot of companies today are also coming up with devices that can be connected to your existing television device and used for video streaming. For example, Roku devices, Apple TV, Chromecast, etc. The global e-commerce giant Amazon controlled by Jeff Bezos has also come up with its own video-streaming device.
Known as the Amazon Fire TV Stick or simply Amazon Fire TV, it consists of a dongle-like device that can be connected to your TV or PC and gives you access to various free and paid video-streaming applications. The entire set also comes with a remote that is also equipped with Alexa, Amazon’s personal AI.
In this listicle, we will be taking a look at some of the free Fire TV apps that is available on Amazon’s Fire TV. I will be doing a detailed analysis of these apps and you can take this opportunity to figure out whether you want to invest in Fire TV or not.
Free Fire TV Apps (Quick Summary)
|Name||Best For||Price||Our Rating||Website Link|
|Peacock TV||Watching free movies, TV shows, etc.||Peacock Free|
Peacock Premium for $4.99/month
Peacock Premium Plus for $9.99/month
|IMDB TV||Watching free movies and TV shows||Free||6/10||https://www.imdb.com/news/ni0567599|
|Tubi||Collection of 20,000 old and new movies and TV shows, multi-device compatibility||Free||8/10||https://tubitv.com/|
|Pluto TV||Watching free movies, sports streams, tech-related shows, etc.||Free||9/10||https://pluto.tv/|
|Crackle||Original shows, free movies, and TV shows, multi-platform compatibility||Free||8/10||https://www.crackle.com/|
|Prime Video||Watching TV shows, movies, anime, downloading shows, offline viewing, shuffle play||$12.99/month$119/year|
Prime Video membership for $8.99/month
|Twitch||Live streaming, showcasing talent, video game streaming||Based on region||9/10||https://www.twitch.tv/|
|Plex||Streaming movies||Free with in-app purchases||9/10||https://www.plex.tv/|
Free Fire TV Apps: Price, Features, Pros, Cons, Review & Rating
Peacock TV is a premium video streaming service run by NBCUniversal. This Firestick app is home to various classic and contemporary shows from NBCUniversal’s broadcast and cable networks. It also hosts films from Universal Pictures, Dreamworks Animation, and Focus Features.
It also features exclusive new TV shows and movies specifically streamed for the service. Some of these include Girls5Eva and rebooted versions of Punky Brewster and Saved by the Bell.
- Peacock Free
- Peacock Premium for $4.99/month
- Peacock Premium Plus for $9.99/month
- It has a free tier
- It offers great programming
- It’s list of shows and movies is extensive
- The video files are kept on a remote server and streamed directly to your device.
- You can watch variety of shows and movies for absolutely free
- The monthly subscription for the premium plans is cheap
- You get 7 days free-trial for subscribing
- Only a few episodes of Peacock TV originals are available on the free version
- It is only available in the United States
- The paid version doesn’t fare better than the free version
Review: Peacock TV is a fairly decent free Amazon Fire TV app that offers you a great deal of shows and series. However, it can do much better when it comes to content diversity as right now the library is simply not enough to justify the monthly fee, in my opinion.
IMDB TV is one of the most popular free Fire TV apps that lets you watch certain movies for absolutely zero cost. You can get access to classic movies and shows as well as original content with IMDB TV.
However, it does not have an ad-free tier which can prove to be a bit of a pickle. You can watch shows like Bewitched, Memento, Something’s Gotta Give, Tank Girls, Ally McBeal, Desperate Housewives, X-Men, etc.
- It is absolutely free
- It has over 200+ TV shows and movies
- It contains original content
- It has multi-platform compatibility
- You can watch shows from diverse genres
- You can access its entire library for free
- Its collection of shows is huge
- You can access it on devices like Amazon Firestick TV, Android devices, Apple TV, iOS devices and Roku devices.
- It does not support offline viewing
- You cannot download shows
- You cannot simultaneously stream from one account
- It lacks parental controls
- It contains adds
- The picture quality is not very good for every show
Review: IMDB TV is one of the average free Fire TV apps that you can access for free to watch movies and shows. Although it lacks many features that you can get with other paid streaming services, you can still give it a try for its free content.
This is a video streaming service and one of the best apps on Amazon Fire TV that offers you a vast catalog of TV shows and movies that you can watch on your phone, streaming device, or smart TV. Its services come for no charge at all and a little price to pay for this is the no. of ads that you are bombarded with while watching a show on Tubi TV.
- It hosts a collection of over 20,000 older TV shows and movies
- It has multi-platform compatibility
- It contains shows from over 250 providers
- It is available on both Apple App Store and Google Play Store
- You can queue your shows and play them later on
- It is absolutely free
- You can access all of its content without having to pay a dime
- You can stream shows from Tubi on various devices like Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, PS4 and Xbox One.
- It does not have any sport-related content
- It lacks live streaming features
- It contains lots of ads
- It does not have any original content
Review: Tubi TV is a great Firestick TV channel that boasts an amazing collection of old and new shows. You can watch all of these for no cost at all and also stream them on various platforms. Personally, I like this particular service a lot better than the others on this list.
Also read: Best apps like Tubi Tv
This is an OTT streaming service that hosts a variety of TV shows and movies. It is an ad-supported tier that is similar to Crackle, Tubi TV, etc. You can either stream this on their official website or download the app which runs on various platforms, the Amazon Fire TV being one of them. You can watch various sports, news, tech, entertainment shows on this app.
- It is a free platform
- It hosts shows ranging across various genres
- You can watch movies, sports streams, tech-related shows, etc. on this platform
- It can be accessed through a number of devices like Android phone or tablet, iOS devices, Amazon Fire TV and Firestick TV, Roku devices, Chromecast, etc.
- It contains on-demand movies
- You don’t need to pay a single dime to watch shows on Pluto TV
- You can stream your favourite shows on multiple platforms
- You can surf channels and menus
- The UI is pretty straight forward
- You are constantly bombarded with unnecessary apps
- It has very few latest episodes of popular shows
- It has truncated versions of major TV channels
- It has no DVR functionality on live streams
Review: Pluto TV is a pretty good free Fire TV app that gives you the best user experience. It is easy to use and you can watch a number of great shows across various categories on this platform. It is one of the apps that can definitely replace cable TV in a few years.
Also read: The best pluto tv substitutes
This is an absolutely free streaming service that features movies, TV, and original shows in its catalog that come and go in rotation on a monthly basis. Although it is an ad-supported tier, it is completely free which itself makes it attractive enough to check out. Crackle Tv has a great selection of movies and TV shows that are attention-worthy and will garner a big audience.
- It supports a hoard of free movies and TV shows
- It also boasts a great catalog of original shows
- It is compatible with a number of platforms like PS4, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and Firestick TV, Roku, Xbox One, LG Connected TV, and many more
- It has great parental control tools
- You can queue your shows to “Watch Later”
- It offers subtitles
- You can watch shows for free on Crackle
- It has a great selection of on-demand content
- You also get access to original content from Hollywood stars
- Ads appear in the beginning of every show
- It has a very small library of kids’ shows
- You cannot stream live on Crackle
- It is available only in the US
Review: This is one of the better free Fire TV apps that you can definitely give a shot at. I loved it because of its extensive content library and on-demand shows. Although you can get annoyed by frequent ads, it’s still worth a try because you have access to so many shows without having to pay a single penny!
Amazon Prime Video is the most popular Amazon Fire TV app that can be accessed with a subscription to Amazon Prime. Although it is not free, you do get a free trial upon subscription. It has some of the best TV shows and movies and also boasts quite a few anime in its collection. It is definitely one of the best non-free Fire TV apps.
- Prime Video membership for $8.99/month
- You get to watch some of the shows for free
- You can stream with your friends to have a watch party
- You can also put shows on shuffle
- You can also download shows to view offline
- You can keep separate profiles
- It has good parental control tools
- You can also customize subtitles
- It has an excellent collection of original content
- You can stream in 4K and HDR
- You can watch live sports streams
- It supports offline downloads
- It loses third-party content to other services
- It does have too many high-quality shows
- Its collection of anime is very poor
Review: Amazon Prime Video is definitely one of the best Fire TV ads and some of the content can be accessed for free. You can also watch free shows on IMDB TV which comes in the package. Although this service is quite expensive, it is still worth every buck.
Twitch is a live-streaming platform for gamers, musicians, and other lifestyle broadcasters who are dedicated to building a community of like-minded individuals. Twitch streamers broadcast their activity, art or gameplay by live streaming to fans who can watch and hear them. It has both a free and a paid tier. The paid tier does away with ads and gives users access to more social, streaming and storage features.
Price: Based on region
- Twitch offers subscriptions to dedicated users
- It lets fans support their favourite streamer through monetary aid
- You can send a streamer “Emotes” or special emojis to show your support
- You can be awarded with badges and even purchase them
- Twitch Prime gives you access to additional games and in-game content
- You can get access to a member-only chat
- It is fun and exciting
- You get to meet new people
- It gives you a rewarding experience
- The streams can go on for extended periods of time
- There are also lot of trolls
- It can be extremely stressful and is an unpaid job
Review: Twitch is a great app for gamers, musicians, and other visual artists who want to stream and showcase their expertise in specific fields. It gives you an opportunity to connect with other people and even validate your talents.
Plex is one of my personal favourite applications that is available on Fire TV for free. It is an application that allows you to create your computing device into a local server so that you are able to easily stream all the movies and tv shows that you have stored on your laptop and stream it on different devices such as your phone, fire tv, etc.
Price: The overall server is free to use, with some in-app purchases
- Stream movies and tv shows from your laptop
- Watch free movies and tv shows on Plex
- Listen to music and podcast from apps like Tidal
- Available on multiple devices
- It is fun and exciting
- Easy to use
- Convenient to stream movies
- Sometimes the connection doesn’t work so well
- It can be a little difficult to set up
- Casting from mobile doesn’t work so well
Review: I have been using Plex for quite some time now, and it has worked pretty well for me. The overall UI of the service looks pretty nice and you also get the option of watching some free movies and tv shows that Plex has the rights to.
The service is pretty great, and you should try it out for free.
Amazon Fire TV hosts a number of apps among which some are paid and some are free. Other than the ones I’ve mentioned in this listicle, there are so many other free Fire TV apps that you can access for free. You can use these apps to watch TV shows, movies, sports, news, etc. for absolutely no cost at all and hassle-free.
So Fire TV users, can you add some more names to this list? Drop your answers in the comments!